Happy New Year! Yes, 2020 is now starting to get properly into swing, and not only that but we’re also at the start of what people are pre-emptively calling the ‘Roaring 20’s’ – as if the 1920’s are going to be any indication of what’s going to happen in a decade a whole century later! Of course, if by ‘Roaring’ people are thinking about the roar of missiles across the skies then they are off to an accurate start thanks to a certain orange man in his big white house. But I digress…
It’s fair to say we don’t know what the future truly holds for us when it comes to a good number of topics – life could be very different by the end of this decade, or it could even be exactly the same. Realistically, I find both thoughts quite terrifying. You know what helps me keep a cool head though? Music. Yes, whilst everything around us either collapses or continues as normal, the new decade will surely see all sorts of new albums, new artists and new genres take the world by storm – and hey, some of them might even be pretty good!
But before we get to witness the music that comes our way over the next 10 years, I thought I’d take a look back at the music that came our way over the LAST 10 years. The 2010s saw a whole host of brilliant music released (and a whole bunch of awful music released, but hey ho), and I thought it would be a nice way to remember the decade if I sat down and had a think about what my favourite songs from the decade were.
As it happens, I ended up with a list of 180 potentials for inclusion, which seemed an impossible task to narrow down. However, I did manage to get it down to a nice round 50 songs by deciding to only allow myself one song per artist (which was VERY difficult in a good number of cases – my original list had 9 different songs by Frank Turner…which probably isn’t a surprise).
Without further ado, here are my personal Top 50 songs from the 2010s. The only order they are in is alphabetical by artist, so pay no mind to placements and such. And of course, if you want to listen to the songs, you can find both a Spotify playlist and a Youtube playlist at the bottom of this piece. Enjoy!
1. Spanish Moss – Against Me!
2. Beekeeper’s Daughter – The All-American Rejects
3. Buried Alive – Avenged Sevenfold
4. Howl – Biffy Clyro
5. Blame It On The Boom Boom – Black Stone Cherry
6. Go Out – blur
7. Don’t Mess With Me – Brody Dalle
8. Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart – Chris Cornell
9. Open Fire – The Darkness
10. The Next Day – David Bowie
11. Filthy Rotten Scoundrel – Deaf Havana
12. Motherfucker – Faith No More
13. The Phoenix – Fall Out Boy
14. White Limo – Foo Fighters
15. Demons – Frank Turner
16. Empty – Garbage
17. Paradise – George Ezra
18. Dance Macabre – Ghost
19. On Melancholy Hill – Gorillaz
20. Christie Road (Live) – Green Day
21. We Appreciate Power – Grimes
22. Little Of Your Love – Haim
23. She’s Kerosene – The Interrupters
24. My Best Theory – Jimmy Eat World
25. The Edge Of Glory – Lady Gaga
26. Love Will Eat You Alive – LostAlone
27. Here We Go – Lower Than Atlantis
28. Meant To Be – Marmozets
29. Nearby Catfight – Milk Teeth
30. Her Words Destroyed My Planet – Motion City Soundtrack
31. Fake Your Death – My Chemical Romance
32. Copy of A – Nine Inch Nails
33. Eyeshadow – No Devotion
34. Settle Down – No Doubt
35. Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell– The Offspring
36. Part II – Paramore
37. Heaven Knows – The Pretty Reckless
38. Smooth Sailing – Queens Of The Stone Age
39. Baby – Royal Republic
40. XIX – Slipknot
41. Pinwheels – Smashing Pumpkins
42. Live To Rise – Soundgarden
43. Mantra – Sound City (Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Trent Reznor)
44. Birth In Reverse – St. Vincent
45. Taciturn – Stone Sour
46. Shake It Off – Taylor Swift
47. Rize of the Fenix – Tenacious D
48. 15 Minutes – Tim Minchin
49. Memories – Weezer
50. Foil – Weird Al Yankovic
You can find the playlist on Spotify and on Youtube.
What were your favourite songs of the 2010s? Let us know in the comments!
By Matt Dobbie